Worldwide the problem of scabies is entrenching into the lives of the people irrespective of their income levels. Now, the basic and an important thing to understand is about the scabies, how do you get scabies? What exactly need to be done to get rid of the scabies? And many more such questions. The main cause being the mite and that if comes in contact with the human skin, it penetrates into the top most layers of the skin and start breeding followed by appearance of rashes as a result of a reaction by the skin. In most of the common cases, scabies may get infected to the healthy person if they are exposed to the dangerous mites in their dwelling places like beds, clothes, skin contacts and in other places. Right now, there are many scabies infected cases worldwide. With the capacity of being alive for 48-72 hours period without a single host, the mite has no exceptions to strike the people. The disease may take on people irrespective of their races, ages and their earnings. The scabies causing organism is invisible in the affected part of the skin to human eyes because of its microscopic size. Scabies can cause a lot of problems to the children, where they often infest the soles; palm and scalp areas while developing rashes. The babies start crying and may not go to the sleep during nights because of the increased irritation and pain. When approached to a good consultant at a right time can help in resolving the scabies. In fact, scabies is a short-term skin problem.
How Do You Get Scabies?
Scabies – Symptoms And Signs Of The Dreaded Contagion
The symptoms start appearing in 2 to 6 weeks of time in a person who had no history of scabies infection but in the case of a person who had earlier infected by the disease, scabies start developing within 4 days. The other prominent indications of the scabies include:
a. Itching: Development of severe itchy conditions, mainly in the night times followed by increased pain.
b. Rashes: Develop at a faster rate on the skin with a formation of bumps in a line that seems like tiny bites, hives or pimples. This may be different in some of the cases because of their appearance.
c. Sores: Touching the contagion skin may increase the rate of infection to a higher extent.
d. Crusts: With the increased breeding of mites in the skin, the skin turns out to be in the form of crusts with the look of grayish color wherein thousands of mites are at work to intensify the severity of scabies. When the crusted skin is touched, the thickness of the skin is felt which is coupled with a physical attribute of disintegration. Crusted scabies is also called as Norwegian scabies. Subsequently, with the passage of time the rashes followed by itching becomes too severe, and the diseased person have to consult a good dermatologist. Usually, the person infected will have a minimum of 20 to 30 mites in the skin. The crusted type of scabies usually seen in the persons whose bodies lack appropriate immunization power, most commonly seen in the weak and elderly people staying within the institutions. These are the most favorable conditions for the mites to develop and multiply endlessly in fast pace while causing infections to other parts of scalp, feet, and back.
With the constant scratching of the diseased part, the mites travel through the fingers to other parts of the body to cause the infection. If the scabies is left untreated, it will cause another health problem called sepsis when the infection enters the bloodstream. The mites selectively choose places in the human skin to make the burrows, the most common places of the mite infection include:
a. Hands: With the ease of access to the burrows between the fingers and the skin in and around the nails, the mites take shelter in these places and increase their production followed by extreme infection.
b. Arms: Wrists and elbows are the other common places for the scabies. These two parts commonly come in contact with the mite through clothes, bed sheets, and through the touch.
c. Skin covered under the jewelry or clothing: The small spaces within the jewels is a preferred location of mites for staying. When you wear the articles like ring, bracelet, watchband and others, the mites make catch the skin while leaving the article and this in turn leads to rashes and other skin ailments. On the other hand, the areas of the skin those are covered up by clothes like buttocks, belt line and places in and around private parts are the best breeding grounds of mites.
How Do You Get Rid Of Scabies – Effectives Tips To Combat The Disease While Decreasing The Infection And The Pain Associated
Yes, if the scabies is not treated at a proper time, then the patient gets multiple forms of skin problems, and that may affect his/her psychological well-being. Because, the itching is something that reduces the person to a vulnerable condition, and the person cannot itch the infected parts in the public places as it may insult the person. Every infected person thinks on how to get rid of the scabies, so some of the prominent and helpful points are given below:
1. Maintain good temperament: On finding the scabies or its infection on your skin, do not get scared and rush to visit a dermatologist. This happens mainly because the people are of the opinion that the rashes reflect them poorly to the outer world. So, do not worry about the scabies because it is one of the skin diseases that may infect people without any consideration, even the babies shall get sometimes infected. Make an appointment with a good skin expert and follow the guidelines prescribed to overcome the scabies.
2. Awareness of treatment: This is one of the vital aspects to be kept in mind because we remain very close to our near and dear ones. If they are not treated, then the infection may spread to others. The development of symptoms requires a period of 6 weeks in a healthy person who had never before infected by the scabies.
3. Procedure and directions: While applying the prescribed medicine, cleanliness should be given an upmost priority and to ensure this you need to wash the infected part with clean water or take a bath. Now, apply the medicine on the diseased part only after it dries up completely and then let the medicine penetrate into the skin pores by allowing the medicine to last for a duration of 8 to 14 hours. To comply this, many of them apply the medicine in the night and wash it off in when they wake up in the morning. If you do not follow the instructions of the dermatologist, then the rashes may get into severity.
4. Application of medicine: Apply the medicine properly to the infected places from a neck to the toes like starting from the neck region followed by nails, in between the fingers of your hands and legs. Avoid the application of the medicine to the uninfected part of the skin, because that may cause further skin problems through side effects while wasting the worthy and effective medicine unnecessarily. After successful application of the medicine, you may require to reapply the medicine once in a week or twice in a week or daily for a period of 1 or 2 months. Do not apply the medicine to the eyelids, lips, and nose and around the mouth region in order to keep yourself away from the effects of a medicine. Remember to wash your hands after application of the medicine with the good soap or detergent and then apply the medicine to the skin in between the fingers of your hands to crush the mites’ activity of burrowing.
5. Keep your surroundings in the upright condition: It mainly includes the most common dwelling places of mites like bed sheets, pillow covers, clothes, towels, socks, inner wears and so on. If your skin comes in contact with the mite in any of possible ways, then you will be infected by the mites that cause scabies. To avoid the scabies you need to follow some of the tips given below:
a. See that every item is subjected to a clean washing in the hot water.
b. Dry the washed up items completely by using the dryer or any other method.
c. Put all the clothes in the plastic bag and tie it properly and leave the bag as it is, for a week or two. Do this, only if you do not have time to wash as well dry your clothes. Performing this act will starve the mites and reduce them to a death condition within 72 hours because they have undergo the agony and suffering caused due to the absence of a breeding ground.
d. Wash all your clothes regularly in order to curb the mites and other disease-causing organisms, even though free from the infection.
e. From a day one of your treatment, you need to vacuum certain key things like beds, blankets, pillows, furniture and others and then throw away the bag after finishing the process of vacuuming. In case, if you are unable to remove the canister, then you need to wash it in clean hot water followed by drying.
f. Avoid treating your pets because the itchy mites, which are commonly found in the human skin, are not able to affect the animals. This happens because these mites face critical survival conditions in the skins of pet animals.
6. Proper diagnosis followed by treatment: Consult a good dermatologist and take the prescriptions in a positive way and then go after them. After examining the skin visually and through a microscope, the skin expert reveals the condition of the skin, infection rate, mites, and their eggs. Next, you need to follow the prescription without failing, and then it will be a very easy task to overcome the scabies. Avoid the temporary treatment for the rashes or itching. Most commonly prescribed medicines for scabies that are safe for all age people are as given below:
a. Permethrin Cream: 5 to 10 percent
b. Benzyl Benzoate: 20 to 25 percent
c. Sulfur Ointment: 5 to 10 percent
d. Crotamiton Cream: 5 to 10 percent
e. Lindane Lotion: 1 to 5 percent
Some of the dermatologists’ do prescribe some of the prominent medicines as mentioned below:
a. Antihistamine and Pramoxine Lotion: To relieve the patient from itching problem and to control it while inducing a good night sleep.
b. Antibiotic: To reduce the infections by strongly acting on the mites and their eggs.
c. Steroid cream: To control the inflammation, itching, crustiness, and infections.
However, there is a medicine called Ivermectin that can be prescribed for the young ones as well as adults who may have infected by the HIV. This medicine is required for stronger treatment, usually when the patient’s body is covered up by the scabies or especially in the case of crusted scabies. The dosage will be of one pill in alternative weeks up to a month or two. This medicine can be prescribed when a large number of people are infected by the scabies like in the nursing homes, emergency treatment wards in the hospitals, and in many more such institutions. If the patients are at the risk of getting the scabies, then those people can also be treated with the ivermectin medicine.
What Are The Results Of Using The Medicines And Going After The Prescription Of The Dermatologists?
After a good treatment, the healing process gets initiated only after a certain time, so you need to have patience to wipe out the scabies. How exactly the medicine leverage the curing of the skin ailment is provided in the next few lines:
1. In the path of eliminating the scabies and its symptoms, a better treatment would help out to a maximum extent in healing the itchy wounds. The rashes and itches may turn out into a severe condition during first few weeks but subsequently they start disappearing from the infected part provided that a due prescription is followed.
2. Even after the four weeks of medication, you may find some of the mites roaming around on your skin. What you have to do is you need to continue the treatment and prescription of the dermatologist. Be aware and be away from the scabicide that is used for treating livestock and crops.
3. People with the higher rate of infections develop crusted scabies and in such instances a repeated treatment is the only solution.
4. Studies show that a proper medication at an earliest period of infection has a higher rate of healing followed by curing.